TERRENATE VIEJO AND LAS NUTRIAS, SONORA
1767 Map of San Felipe de Gracia Real de Terrenate by Josť de Urrutia
Terrenate was in three different locations throughout is life. Beginning in
1742 it was established near a rancho referred to as Terrenate in northern
Sonora. The Regulation of 1772 called for a new alignment of the presidios.
One requirement was that the Terrenate garrision be moved east to Las
In 1775 the garrison was moved to Las Nutrias where it was little more than
a camp. Shortly thereafter, in 1775, during his inspection, Hugo O'Conor
found the camp unacceptable. The garrision was therefore moved to Santa
Cruz near present day Fairbank on the San Pedro River, Arizona.
THE MATERIAL ON THIS PAGE IS COPYRIGHTED AND SHOULD BE APPROPRIATELY CITED (C) 2008, Deni Seymour